Aksyon candidate for
May 10, 2010
|Born||Jose Yumang Sonza|
Head of IBC News and Current Affairs
|Years active||ABS-CBN (1988-1996)|
|Spouse(s)||Ma. Thelma Hernandez|
|TV/radio shows hosted||Pilipinas, Gising Ka Na Ba? ng Bayan host (2014-present)|
Tapatan radio commentator
News Team 13 anchor (2012-present)
Jay Sonza (born Jose Yumang Sonza on September 20, 1955 in Macabebe, Pampanga, Philippines), known as Jay Sonza, is a Filipino veteran broadcast journalist, radio commentator, newscaster and talk show host. He is the former station manager of the terrestrial television station UNTV 37 from 2004 to 2010.
He is currently the head of news and current affairs department of IBC 13 and the host of the early morning show Pilipinas, Gising Ka Na Ba? ng Bayan, the anchor of the morning radio program Tapatan on DZTV Radyo Budyong 1386 and the anchorman of the network's late-night newscast News Team 13.
Return to televisionEdit
Head of IBC News and Current AffairsEdit
Provides editorial and coverage guidance. Approves and edits news lines-up of producers. Over-all in charge of daily news operations. Hires news employees and talents.
- Pilipinas, Gising Ka Na Ba? ng Bayan (2014–present) (IBC)
- News Team 13 (2012–present) (IBC)
- Get it Straight (2008–2010) (UNTV)
- Ito Ang Balita (2007–2010) (UNTV)
- Pilipinas, Gising Ka Na Ba? (2005–2007) (UNTV)
- Balitang Balita (2000-2001) (ABC)
- Saksi (1998–1999) (GMA Network)
- Partners Mel and Jay (1996–2004) (GMA Network)
- Tapatan with Jay Sonza (1995–1998; 2000–2001; 2004–2005) (GMA Network/RPN/UNTV) (currently a daily segment of News Team 13 on IBC, 2012–present)
- Mel & Jay (1988–1996) (ABS-CBN)
- Tapatan with Jay Sonza Radio Edition (1995–2010, 2012–present) (DZBB Bisig Bayan 594/DZRH 666 kHz/DZXL RMN 558 kHz/DZIQ Radyo Inquirer 990 AM/DZTV Radyo Budyong 1386)
- Pulis, Pulis Kung Umaksiyon, Mabilis (1993–1995) (DZMM 630: Ang Himpilan ng Malayang Mamamayan)
- Mel & Jay sa DZMM (1988–1996) (DZMM 630: Ang Himpilan ng Malayang Mamamayan)
- Dear Deejay Jay (1981–1985) (DZMB 90.7)
In 2004, Jay filed his candidacy for Philippine Senator under the Aksyon Demokratiko political party of Education secretary Raul Roco. He lost in the said elections but became the head of UNTV 37 the year after his electoral loss.
In 2007, he was one of the nominees of BATAS party-list. In 2010, he filed his candidacy for the Vice President position for the 2010 elections. He run under the Kilusang Bagong Lipunan but lost to Makati City Mayor Jejomar Binay of PDP-Laban and later, the United Nationalist Alliance.
Awards and recognitionsEdit
- Winner, Best Male Newscaster for News Team 13 - PMPC Star Awards For TV (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Winner, Best Male News Anchor for News Team 13 - Gawad Tanglaw Awards (2013, 2014, 2016)
- Winner, Best TV Male Newscaster for News Team 13 - KBP Golden Dove Awards (2013, 2016, 2018)
- Winner, Male News Anchor for News Team 13 - USTv Students Choice Awards (2013)
- ↑ AnakTV bares temporary changes in leadership |publisher=Showbizandstyle.inquirer.net |date=2009-09-19 |accessdate=2010-12-06 |deadurl=yes |archiveurl=https://web.archive.org/web/20090927185529/http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/entertainment/entertainment/view/20090919-225929/AnakTV-bares-temporary-changes-in-leadership |archivedate=2009-09-27 |df=
- ↑ Ex-broadcasters’ lament: Why ‘unfair’ coverage of Bangon Pilipinas? - Nation - GMANews.TV - Official Website of GMA News and Public Affairs - Latest Philippine News |publisher=GMANews.TV |date= |accessdate=2010-12-06