|Star for a Night|
|Created by||Viva Television|
|Directed by||Jon Corpus|
|Presented by||Regine Velasquez|
|Theme music composer||Vehnee Saturno|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||48|
|Executive producer(s)||Vic del Rosario, Jr|
|Producer(s)||Veronique Del Rosario-Corpus|
|Running time||1 hour|
|Original run||March 31, 2002 – March 1, 2003|
|Followed by||Search for a Star (GMA Network)|
|Related shows||Born to be a Superstar (IBC)|
|Star for a Night (Viva Entertainment site)|
Star for a Night was a Philippine singing contest produced by Viva Television and broadcast by IBC from March 31, 2002 to March 1, 2003. The host was Regine Velasquez. The show venue was in the Aliw Theater of Star City in Pasay City. The grand finals took place in Ultra in Pasig City.
This is the grand finals of Star for a Night was aired on IBC in March 1, 2003 following Viva TV on IBC primetime block went off-the-air due to high cost and poor ratings. However, Viva return to co-production of IBC such as Born to be a Superstar since 2012 to present.
It is best remembered for the performances of Sarah Geronimo, who at the age of fourteen won the competition, including a ₱1 million cash prize and a managerial contract with Vicente del Rosario, owner of Viva Artists Agency.
Singer and actress Athena Tibi was also discovered on the show and signed to Viva Artists Agency, where she debuted as part of pop group 3Yo, before moving in to musicals and later moving to Japan.
Sarah Geronimo was given the title of Pop Star Princess as a result of the show. Her mother said, "Her cash prize in Star For a Night was a big help, This school year, we don't need to borrow money from other people because of my children's tuition fees."
Other notable contestants including Mark Bautista who also became a successful recording artist and actor, Florie May Lucido or Reema Lucida became a contender in Born Diva, Maureen Marcelo who won the Philippine Idol, Mae Flores who made it as one of the top 12 contenders in Pinoy Idol who finished in 11th place, Angeline Quinto, the winner of Star Power: The Search for the Next Female Pop Superstar and Klarisse de Guzman, who is currently a finalist for The Voice of the Philippines, with Sarah Geronimo as her coach. This is their first collaboration after more than a decade.
The success of the show led to a second season, called Search for a Star.
The grand finals night of Star for a Night was re-aired on TV5 on January 30, 2016 as preparation for the newly-produced singing talent search Born to be a Star, which is similar to Viva-produced reality singing search Born to be a Superstar on IBC.
- Sarah Geronimo - Winner
- Mark Bautista
- Maureen Marcelo
- Florie May Lucido
- Jason Velasquez
- Angeline Quinto
- Mailyn Yu
- Angeli Mae Flores
- Roxanne Castro
- Kristela Musica Cristobal
- Carlo San Jose
- March 31, 2002-April 14, 2002: Sunday 8:00-9:00 pm
- April 20, 2002-March 1, 2003: Saturday 8:00-9:00 pm
- ↑ Star for A Night|publisher=Viva Entertainment|date = 2009-02-26|accessdate=2012-10-29
- ↑ 3Yo|publisher=Amazon.com|accessdate=2012-10-26
- ↑ [www.clickthecity.com/arts/?p=1776 Back-to-School, Back-to-'High School Musical'|publisher=Click The City|accessdate=2012-10-26|date=2007-06-15]
- ↑ Building on the future of Philippine theater|author=Annie S. Alejo|publisher=Manila Bulletin|accessdate=2012-10-26|date=2012-03-07
- ↑ ATHENA|publisher=SomethingDrastic|accessdate=2012-10-28
- ↑ [cite news|last = Red|first = Isah V. Sarah Geronimo on a path to superstardom|publisher = manilastandardtoday.com|date = 2007-08-22|url = http://web.archive.org/web/20110714050026/http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/2007/aug/22/goodLife3.htm%7Caccessdate = 2010-01-25]
- ↑ Template:Cite news
- ↑ Template:Cite web